We all have a favourite sleeping position that we resort to night after night.
Some of us are side sleepers, others sprawl out on our backs, and then there are the “tummy sleepers”. If you’re a dedicated tummy sleeper, it might surprise you to hear that this seemingly comfy position may not be doing your health any favours.
Before you dive into the dreamland belly-first tonight, here’s what you need to know about tummy sleeping and how a proper “tummy sleeper pillow” can make a world of difference.
The Drawbacks of Sleeping on Your Tummy
Sleeping on your stomach may feel cozy, especially if it’s a position you’ve assumed since childhood. However, from a health perspective, it may not be the most beneficial. Here are some health consequences of stomach sleeping:
- Neck Strain: Your neck is forced to turn to one side when you lie on your stomach. This can put a lot of stress on your cervical spine, leading to head and neck pain and stiffness.
- Back Pain: Stomach sleeping can cause the natural curve of your spine to flatten, which can lead to lower back pain.
- Breathing: Lying with your face down can restrict breathing. Over time, this may not be the most optimal position for your lungs.
- Nerve Pressure: Sleeping in this position can cause pressure on your nerves, leading to numbness or tingling.
- Facial Wrinkles: Pressing your face against the pillow might lead to wrinkles and can also contribute to acne breakouts.
If you’re keen on holding onto your tummy sleeping position, choosing the right pillow can make a difference.
Why the Right Pillow Matters?
To counteract the potential downsides of being a stomach sleeper, it’s essential to invest in the best stomach sleeper pillow. A well-designed pillow for stomach sleeper will:
- Maintain Neck Alignment: The right front sleeper pillow will be lower in height, ensuring your neck isn’t at an odd angle.
- Cushioning: A good pillow for a tummy sleeper will provide the necessary cushioning for your forehead or cheek, allowing for breathing space.
- Support: An ideal stomach sleeping pillow supports the head without sinking it too much, thus preventing the spine from curving unnaturally.
Considering our health’s importance, it’s crucial to get the best pillow for tummy sleepers. If you’re on the hunt, pillows.com.au offers a fantastic range designed specifically for tummy sleepers.
The Complete Sleeprrr Adjustable Pillow is the perfect foam pillow option for tummy sleepers. By removing the pillow foam noodles and inserts, you can obtain a low-profile pillow to maintain your spine alignment. As soon as you transition to a side sleeping position you can adjust the pillow height and get better support for your neck.
Sleeping Surface Considerations
Pillows aside, there’s another vital consideration: your mattress.
Ever asked, What is the best mattress for a tummy sleeper? The answer: it varies. Some stomach sleepers might prefer a firmer surface to prevent their abdomen from sinking, which can misalign the spine. However, others wonder, “Is a softer bed better for a tummy sleeper?” A softer bed can contour to the body’s shape, but too soft, it might worsen the spine’s alignment. Personal preference plays a role, but ensuring spinal alignment should be the top priority, try to transition from the stomach sleeping position to a side sleeping one.
Switching Up Your Sleeping Style in 3 Steps
While pillows and mattresses can help, some might be interested in transitioning from being a tummy sleeper. So, “How can a tummy sleeper learn to change bed sleeping positions?” It’s not an overnight process (pun intended!), but with a little patience, it’s achievable.
- Start with a semi-side position. Use a body pillow to support your leg and arm, making the switch less drastic.
- Establish a bedtime routine. This helps signal to your body it’s time to sleep, making it easier to fall asleep in a new position.
- Consider physical barriers. For example, using a low-profile bed wedge behind your back can prevent you from rolling onto your stomach.
Being a tummy sleeper is more than just a sleeping position; it’s a habit. While habits are hard to break, understanding the health implications can be a motivating factor. If you choose to remain a tummy sleeper, ensure you invest in the best pillow for a stomach sleeper to mitigate potential health concerns. Whether you’re looking for a side sleeper pillow or tips to change your sleeping position, we’re here to guide you. Sleep well, dream big, and take care of your health!
Start with a semi-side position, establish a bedtime routine, and consider using physical barriers like low-profile bed wedges to prevent rolling onto your stomach.
A softer bed can contour to the body’s shape, but if it’s too soft, it can misalign the spine. Balance is key.